Dubai's Own Bridget Jones' Diary.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
What are you doing here?!
You are supposed to be here, Miss Jones' new residence! Come on, get cracking, I don't have all night ha!
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Bridget's brand of mumbo-jumbo end-of-year-talk
Seeeeee, little Bridget is back. Sooner than we had both expected I know! Thought I should come share with you my last musings for the year, seeing how frighteningly close to the end we are. The end of the year D., not the end full stop ha!
This will all be a bit of a mumbo-jumbo, seeing as I'm more concerned really to catch the last of the day's sun than to focus on diarising. No worries D., we'll get there, we always do, don't we...
Okay, for some 'Key Learnings' to parody the guys at work.
Bridget has learnt that,
** Blank mind**
Okay, never mind, we'll get to that later. I'll tell you some nice stuff that happened to me this year D. ( in no specific order of importance)
- I traveled to a new country, which reminded me a lot of beautiful wild Africa
- I became an Aunty in Dubai! Geraldine gave birth to a cute baby girl, a mix of Latin and Chinese, she's a beaut! She's a few months short of a year now, and can recognise faces (I think). Her face breaks into a broad toothless grin when she sees me, surely that means she knows it's Aunty Bridget?
- I fell in love! (more on that in another post D., I know you're dying to know, but life's not all about instant gratification ha!)
- I moved flats. I simply love the view from my balcony, it's my first greenery-view in all the time I've been in Dubai. Previously I faced buildings duh! The view has a soothing effect on me, I just have to step outside and look at the tree tops and I feel relaxed! I spend loads of time hogging the balcony I have to say. I eat there, read there, sometimes watch telly from there, I've fallen asleep there too! Only one did I have a (major) scare. I was sprawled all over, playing with my hair, and failed to see a roach on the wall behind me. Only when I went inside to get a drink did I notice a suspicious shadow. I shuddered in retrospect - it could have landed on me, crawled into my hair, done horrible stuff to me D.! I'm terrified of roaches! For two weeks, I didn't step outside post sundown, BUT kept guard periodically like the paranoid person I can sometimes be to see if it would come back (yeah, I would have recognised him! Or his family members!). But turns out it was a one-off occurrence, must have been the heat of the summer months and all the trees around. So I'm back to enjoying the fresh air (cold by now) and the view. And the construction noises of course. The added bonus is, I have ditched my stalker ha! He still tries to figure out where I now live, but there's no way I'm making that mistake!! (Jeez D., I can't believe I've written that much about that balcony!)
- I cut my hair by half its length and found out it grows back fast. It's still not its original length yet, but we're getting there. Now that's good news, since me no like short hair. But back then, i had to cut them. It was symbolic. Well, not that it sybolised much in the end ha! More laters D. (I know, I know, I'm coming across all coy and mysterious, but it's just that I don't have time to tell you everything at one go)
- I made new friends, two of whom seem to have potential to grow into close friends. If you recall D., I take time me to let people get close to me, so yeah, they're still not fully grown. Grown into what? Into close friends D., follow will ya! I'll call them Twit and Trix. Courtesy of my privacy paranoia. I'm a bit concerned at the mo, Trix is behaving strange around me, pretending to be busy and unavailable. Not at all what I'm used to. Hmmmm. I'm wondering if I may have caused some major offense (it wouldn't be the first time eh Bridget! Yeah D., thanks for reminding me, but I needed no reminding duh!)
The sun's paling D. What sun? Didn't I tell you I was catching the sun as I diarise? You never follow anything do you? Sometimes you are exactly like Trix, barely listening to what I'm saying!
Okay, I'm bored telling you nice stuff that's happened to me D., I'm gonna (try) share some key learnings now.
- Hmmm. Bridget has learnt that even if years back, she ruled out falling in love again in a giggling-like-a-kid manner, she actually did! At the ripe ol' ag of Miss Jones ha!
- I won't keep repeating 'Bridget has learnt' D., it will be monotonous for you (and more importantly tiring for me), but it is implied, ok? 'Blood run thicker than water' is overrated. Sibling rivalry can be fierce and last well into middle-age. That's what Miss Jones has observed from other people's dealings. Competition and envy bloody well start at home.
- 'Always' and 'Never' are words that should really be banned from everyday use. Earlier in the year, I thought I'd never be in touch with some people, but I did. And I thought I'd always be friends with some others, but people have a limitless resourcefulness to betray and hurt.
- No one watches your back better than.. yourself ha!
- People are really not black or white (big shock), they're full of grey shades (big disappointment), they shift colours like chameleons all the time, it's kinda scary. But it's life right?
- Bridget has started realising that she will never be completely grown-up! Despite all her efforts to act, talk, poise, behave adult in the last weeks, there's a little girl inside her who's thinking mischievous thoughts and giggling at the idea of putting them into play! I think she missed out when God was distributing the 'grown-up' gene. Vincent and Thierry were right, a femme-enfant she is, a femme-enfant she seems doomed to be I'm afraid!
Me off now D., I have dinner plans. Your colours another time. If I don't hurry, my sophisticated attempt at fashionably en retard will turn into indecently late ha!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
And then he came and turned my world around!
Bridget is back, again. Hopefully for a bit longer this time, but who can tell...?
What brings her back to you D. is an irresistible urge to indulge in an emotional outpouring from last night's events.
Hmm.. did I whet your appetite D.? Does this sound like some romantic or kinky activity Brdiegt got involved into last night? Well it was! All that hip swaying from George was enough to make a girl's blood heat up ha!
You see D., last night little Bridget was invited to make a date with history! The history of her teenage years, which were marked by fierce competition between Morten Harket from A-ha and George for the biggest slice of her heart (and her 13 year old fantasies, which involved flowers and romantic songs written for her, just for her! Okay, there was kissing too sometimes!). And here's a scoop D., a public admission of what I have dissimulated for 2 decades now...
Are you ready for this earth-shattering piece of news D.? Sure? Okay here goes...
I really liked Andy better ha! What Andy? Ohlala! Andy from WHAM of course! Am I talking of Obama's family dog-to-be-acquired here? Follow will ya! So yeah D., I had a secret crush on Andy with the wild hair, well hidden from the jealous eyes of George with the wilder hair.
But I digress as usual - some things never change as you can see ha! Jeez, I still have loads of growing up to do :(
Back to last night. It was AMAZING to finally see George Michael Live! I was 13 years old again (well, some people I know would argue I am 13 years old most times...). Memories of Janet and I cutting his (George's! Follow D.!) pics from magazines, writing love letters which we never sent, and love letters which we did send, copying his songs in beautiful diaries with little hearts and flowers, getting excited over his latest records. I still have the earliest WHAM! records I bought at home! Relics really. I'll give them to my grand-kids one day. Well, if we ever get there, the prospect of kids is not looking very promising these days, let alone grand-kids ha! But more on that in another post.
I cried (a little only D., and very discretely at that - I was not going to make a scene in front of all these people duh!) when we all sang Careless Whisper with him (George!), and when he thanked us (me!) for the last 25 years we have been with him though it has not always been easy (I wonder what he means by that? Maybe I'll write and ask him. Now he's retired he must be feeling very lonely and would love getting fan mail). Granted, it's only 20 years in my case... okay 8-10 really as I haven't been following him much over the last decade, BUT 1) that's irrelevant to the matter at hand 2) He doesn't have to know I have been less than a loyal fan does he? There! 3) It didnt prevent me from feeling the thanks were well-deserved ha!
Should I feel ashamed D.? At a time when people are worrying over financial crises and terrorist attacks (ohlala, I've used the T word! Does that mean the CIA will open a dossier on me now and monitor all my moves??), I am gushing over a teen crush who is now 45! Him, not me! Oh well, you know, if they didn't want me to gush in current times over a pop star, they should have made sure we (him and I D.!) met when I was 13 and I could have swooned and fainted as befited my age ha! So I'll do it now, thank you very much and you can keep your holier-than-thou-raised-eyebrows-in-disapproval to yourself! Not you D.! Any disapproving person who may be reading me.
Actually it's quite nice D., no one knows I'm back to writing (probably because I wasn't until now ha!), except for the Little Lady. Oh and the French-speaking bloke who visits now and then and wants to know about me, juste un peu he says. Like my (severely battered) privacy paranoia would allow that ha!
D. I'm off, look at the time aaargh!! I'll be late! I'll do your colours another time!
The thought just occurs to me - If I could get to see Morten too Live D., I would die happy! Well, no not quite. Somehting would be missing - Do you think there's a chance Daniel Craig could be persuaded to model while I try my hand at nudes?? Painting was a fave teen activity too ha!
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Look what the cat's dragged in!
Well hello hello hello!
Look who is here! If it is not little Bridget in person!
Yes, it's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)))))))))) So how have you been keeping D.? Lonnnnnnggggg time eh!!!
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo many things happened D.!!! Dunno where to start telling you, well actually maybe I won't! Depends! On what? I dunno!! Just depends duh!
Can you believe this? It's past 1 a.m and Miss Jones is diarising! Yep D., little Bridget has taken to calling herself Miss Jones now! Ain't that just poshy? Or class? Or obnoxious? Or.. something? Ha!
But I'm tired now, I'm going to bed.
Laters, tomorrow maybe - or next month ha! ;)
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Interruption of Diary services until further notice
Please note that Bridget will not be diarising until further notice, as real life matters, in the form of work priorities, claim precedence over blog-world.
As much as she woud like to, she regrets that she will not have the time to visit your blogs either, for the same reasons. Please accept her apologies.
She thanks you all for your regular visits, comments, advice and cyber-support in her foggy moments and hard times and wish you the best with both blog and real life.
Until we cyber-meet again,